Who We Are
The co-founders of TrueCue.org are Dan Levine ("Chief Smoke Detector") and John Shelton Reed ("Eminence Grease"). Dan is best known in the burgeoning barbecue blogosphere as Porky LeSwine, the author of the nearly famous BBQJew.com website. John is retired from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and is co-author (with his wife Dale Volberg Reed and William McKinney) of Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue. Both Dan and John have judged barbecue competitions and eaten countless barbecue meals across the country, as well as more faux ‘cue than they care to recall.
Fellow travelers in the Campaign for Real Barbecue include our Regional Smoke Detectors, who are responsible for overseeing True 'Cue certifications in their area. These good folks include:
- Kentucky Regional Smoke Detector Wes "Heatmeister" Berry, a professor at Western Kentucky University and the author of The Kentucky Barbecue Book. Wes first joined the Campaign as a Patron.
- South Carolina Regional Smoke Detector Lake High. Lake originally joined the Campaign as a Patron and is president of the South Carolina Barbeque Association and author of A History of South Carolina Barbeque.
See your state missing? Drop us a note and tell us why you want to be involved.
True 'Cue News
We publish a semi-regular, semi-interesting newsletter. Read 'em and (if you are so moved) weep:
- Newsletter #9, September 2017
- Newsletter #8, June 2017
- Newsletter #7, April 2017
- Newsletter #6, August 2016
- Newsletter #5, May 2016
- Newsletter #4, February 2016
- Newsletter #3, November 2015
- Newsletter #2, July 2015
- Newsletter #1, May 2015
A photo credit goes to Holly Moore of HollyEats.com who let us use his firebox picture as our logo.
Sarah Greene Reed designed our website.
Those who missed the reference to The Campaign for Real Ale might wish to check it out.
They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, and at the Campaign for Real Barbecue we will take any we can get. Here's some of the press coverage we've received to date:
"Two Tar Heels issue the true 'cue challenge," in the News & Observer
"The Campaign for Real Barbecue" at zenbbq.com
"Campaign for Real Barbecue lists many Davidson County restaurants," in the Lexington Dispatch
"Ambassadors of smoke," in The Christian Science Monitor.
"True 'Cue: A Campaign for Real Barbecue" at tmbbq.com (Texas Monthly's BBQ blog)
"Digest: True 'Cue" at roadfood.com
"New Barbecue Campaign Supports Cooking over Wood," in the Charlotte Observer
For press inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com.