TRUE 'CUE SOUTH CAROLINA
South Carolinians have good reason to believe that their state is the birthplace of Southern barbecue (a tradition with more than one mother), and the Palmetto State's dedicated pit masters keep the fires burning today. This page is your gateway to finding restaurants independently certified as serving real, old-school South Carolina barbecue.
To learn more about what defines South Carolina barbecue, visit the website of the South Carolina Barbeque Assocation. The SCBA is a "varied and colorful group of people who have come together to have fun and promote South Carolina barbeque" by training BBQ judges, sanctioning cooking competitions, educating the public, and maintaining a list of the Top 100 Barbecue Houses in South Carolina.
To qualify for True ‘Cue SC certification, a restaurant must meet the following criteria:
- Be located in South Carolina.
- Cook the barbecue using wood coals or charcoal as the sole heat source.
- Avoid electricity, gas or any other non-wood heat source for the barbecue other than to ignite the wood, to keep the finished barbecue warm, or to re-heat the finished barbecue.
- Serve the barbecue on site at the location where it is cooked (exceptions may exist for food trucks and other mobile purveyors, but a restaurant that serves barbecue cooked by another business does not qualify).
- Offer regular business hours, with barbecue available on the menu regularly (at least monthly).
- Serve chopped or pulled pork shoulder, Boston butt, hams, or whole hog on the regular menu. Offering additional meats is acceptable--and irrelevant.
- Provide a sauce that is regionally appropriate, which in SC means anything from mustard-based to vinegar/pepper to light tomato to thick tomato. Variety is the spice of life--and, it seems, of SC BBQ.
Sadly, we believe there are no more than forty or so restaurants (some with multiple locations) in South Carolina that serve True ‘Cue, out of hundreds of barbecue restaurants across the state. We need your help to change this. Please take THE PLEDGE, steer clear of faux ‘cue when possible, and patronize True ‘Cue SC-certified restaurants.
To the best of our knowledge, these restaurants serve barbecue that meets the True ‘Cue SC criteria (some serve barbecued meats or sauces in addition to those specified above but their menus include traditional SC-style barbecue):
- Belly’s Southern Pride Bar-B-Q, 2508 Augusta Highway, Lexington, SC 29072. 803.356.8284
- Big Bill’s Low Country Bar-B-Que, 2041 N. Fraser Street, Georgetown, SC 29440. 843.527.2697
- Big Bull’s Bang'n BBQ & Southern Comfort Food, 2614 Hardscrabble Road, Columbia, SC 29223. 803.479.4475
- Black’s Smokehouse, 1528 Blue Ridge Road, Seneca, SC 29672. 864.280.2577
- Brown Derby II, 1397 Belleville Road, Orangeburg, SC 29115. 803.539.2722
- Buckwheat's BBQ & Catering, 651 Silver Bluff Road, Aiken, SC 29803. 803.226.0941
- Bucky’s Bar-B-Q, which has four locations:
- 1700 Roper Mountain Road, Greenville, SC 29615. 864.329.0054
- 2010 Perimeter Road, Greenville, SC 29605. 864.277.3005
- 103 N. Main Street, Fountain Inn, SC 29644. 864.409.3333
- 1326 N. Pleasantburg Road, Greenville, SC 29607. 864.244.5114
- Cannon’s BBQ & More, 1903 Nursery Road, Little Mountain, SC 29075. 803.945.1080
- Carolina BBQ, 109 Main Street South, New Ellenton, SC 29809. 803.652.2919
- Circle M BBQ, 345 Martin Sausage Road, Liberty, SC 29657. 864.375.9133
- Cock Pit Barbecue, 905 Bluff Road, Columbia, SC 29201. 803.764.0236
- CountrySide BBQ, 706 St. Matthews Road, Swansea, SC 29160. 803.568.3385
- Country Smokehouse, 8505 Garners Ferry Road, Hopkins, SC 29061. 803.776.4886
- Creekside Bar-be-que, 1115 Salem Church Road, Anderson, SC 29625. 864.260.9093
- Fiery Ron’s Home Team BBQ, which has two locations:
- 2209 Middle Street, Sullivan's Island, SC 29482. 843.883.3131
- 1205 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC 29407. 843.225.7427
- GrandDaddy's BBQ, 139 Lemmons Lane, Gaffney, SC 29341. 864.649.1790
- Henry’s Smokehouse, 240 Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greenville, SC 29607. 864.232.7774
- Hite’s Bar-B-Que, 240 Dreher Road, West Columbia, SC 29169. 803.794.4120
- Jackie Hite’s Bar-b-que, 460 E. Railroad Avenue, Leesville, SC 29070. 803.532.3354
- Jo Jo's Backyard BBQ, 1648 N Rocky River Road, Lancaster, SC 29720. 803.283.4844
- Maurices’ Piggie Park BBQ, with 13 restaurants: see the list of locations here.
- Maple’s BBQ, 4060 Patriot's Parkway, Sumter, SC 29154. N/A
- Maxwell's BBQ & Bluegrass, 251 Willbrook Boulevard, Pawley's Island, SC 29585. 843.237.4744
- McCabe’s Bar-B-Q, 480 N. Brooks Street, Manning, SC 29102. 803.435.2833
- Melvin's Barbecue, with two locations in the Charleston area:
- 925 Houston Northcutt Boulevard, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464. 843.881.0549
- 538 Folly Road, James Island, SC 29412. 843.762.0511
- Midway BBQ, 811 Main Street, Buffalo, SC 29321. 864.427.4047
- Moe’s Original Bar B Que, 12827 Ocean Highway, Pawley’s Island, SC 29585. 843.235.8008
- Pig-N-Vittles, with two locations in SC (and one in that other Carolina):
- 126 Main Street, Chesterfield, SC 29709. 843.623.5225
- 203 W. McGregor Street, Pageland, SC 29728. 843.672.3434
- Pop Pop's Pit BBQ, 8724 SC-707, Myrtle Beach, SC 29588. 843.650.9227
- Q2U BBQ Pit, 4052 Charlotte Highway, Lake Wylie, SC 29710. 803.831.8883
- RightOnQue, 329 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29403. 843.813.3643
- Riverside Bar-B-Que, 1590 Oatland Road, Georgetown, SC 28440. 843.527.3442
- Rodney Scott's Whole Hog BBQ, 1011 King Street, Charleston, SC 29403. 843.990.9534
- Ronnie’s Ribs, 2435 Main Street, Elgin, SC 29045. 803.438.8522
- Russell's Smokin' Good BBQ, 3251 Kershaw Highway, Westville, SC 29067. 803.438.8522
- Sandy Ocean BBQ, 1951 15-401 West, Bennettsville, SC 29512. 843.479.2278
- Scott’s Bar-B-Que, 2734 Hemingway Highway, Hemingway, SC 29554. 843.558.0134
- Shuler’s BBQ, 419 SC-38, Latta, SC 29565. 843.752.4700
- Sweatman's BBQ, 1427 Eutaw Road, Holly Hill, SC 29059. 803.496.1227
- Swig & Swine, which has two locations:
- 1217 Savannah Highway, Charleston, SC 29407. 843.225.3805
- 1990 Old Trolley Road, Summerville, SC 29485. 843.771.9688
- True BBQ, which has two locations:
- 1237 D Avenue, West Columbia, SC 29169. 803.791.9950
- 4002 Socastee Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29588. 843.267.1787
- Winnsboro House of BBQ, 141 N Congress Street, Winnsboro, SC 29180. 803.635.6550
Certifications are performed by our volunteer team of True ‘Cue Inspectors. Restaurants may choose to display the True ‘Cue SC Real Barbecue certification on their premises, but it is not required. If you think you know a restaurant that meets the True 'Cue SC criteria, let us know. If you think a place on the list now cooks with gas or electricity, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll check it out (we don’t want to start a flame war, so to speak).
We believe that these restaurants also serve barbecue that satisfies the True ‘Cue SC criteria, and are working to verify it with a site visit:
- Creekside, Greenwood, SC
- Lewis Barbecue, Charleston, SC
- Midwood Smokehouse, Columbia, SC
- Nick’s, North Charleston, SC
- Sgt. White’s, Beaufort, SC
- Westwood, Hartsville, SC
- Woodstone, Florence, SC
- Mr. T’s BBQ, Columbia, SC
- Melvin’s Legendary Bar-B-Que, Mt. Pleasant, SC
- Hudson’s Smokehouse, Lexington, SC
We conduct inspections and re-inspections as time, money and cholesterol levels allow.